Vegetarian Chickpea Curry
YIELD: 4 servings PREP TIME: 10 min COOK TIME: 20 mins
- 2 diced cloves of garlic
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry (I like to use Vindaloo Curry blend, but you can use any curry powder you prefer.)
- 1 can of drained chickpeas (15oz)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (15oz)
- 1 cup of whole coconut milk
- 2 cups of roughly chopped spinach leaves
- 1 cup of roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper, and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Then add the remaining spices: coriander, ginger, cumin, turmeric, and curry powder and stir in for about 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and coconut milk. Turn down the heat and let simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Stir in the spinach, cilantro, and lime juice for 2-3 minutes.
Take off the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes and serve up in individual bowls or spoon over rice on a plate.