Vadouvan Curried Sweet Potato and Mushroom Soup
YIELD: 4-5 servings PREP TIME: 15-20 min SIMMER TIME: 30-60 min
- 1 ½ tablespoons Butter Olive Oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5-6 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ½ teaspoons Spice Your Life Vadouvan French Masala Curry Spice Blend
- ½ teaspoon ground Vietnamese Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups pureed sweet potato
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- Sprinkles of Aleppo Pepper Flakes
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice drizzled on each bowl (optional)
- Drizzle ~ 2 teaspoons of liquid plain yogurt on top of each bowl (optional)
- Chopped cilantro to garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle of roasted and salted pepitas on top of each bowl (optional)
Add Butter Olive Oil to a large saute pan. Saute the chopped onion, minced garlic, sliced mushrooms, Vadouvan French Masala Curry Spice Blend, ground Vietnamese Cinnamon, dry mustard, and salt on low heat covered for 5-10 minutes until onion is soft and translucent. In a 4 quart bowl mix pureed sweet potato, chicken stock, and orange juice and whisk until well blended. Add the pureed sweet potato mixture to the saute pan and stir well to mix. Simmer on low heat for 30-60 minutes to let the flavors meld.
The soup is ready when it is somewhat thickened. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle ~1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and ~2 teaspoons of liquid plain yogurt on top of each bowl. Sprinkle Aleppo Pepper Flakes and chopped cilantro on top, followed by several roasted and salted. Enjoy!
The leftover soup can be placed into ziplock bags and frozen to enjoy at another time.
Vadouvan French Masala Curry
Aleppo Pepper Flakes
Butter Olive Oil