Spicy Cherry Berry Fruit Salad
YIELD: 4 servings PREP TIME: 15 min TOTAL TIME: 20 min
- ¼ cup Spice Your Life Blackberry Ginger Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo Pepper Flakes
- 1 whole dried star anise (optional)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/3 cups dark cherries, sliced in half and pitted
- 1 1/3 cups blackberries
- 1 1/3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- Flaked sea salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
Put the vinegar, water, Aleppo Pepper Flakes, star anise, and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Then simmer ~10 minutes until the mixture is thickened, like syrup, and spicy. Remove from heat and strain to remove the solid pieces. Set aside.
Mix the cherries, blackberries, and strawberries in a medium bowl and drizzle with half of the strained syrup. Season very lightly with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the chopped tarragon and basil on top. Drizzle the remaining syrup over the salad to taste. Stir gently and serve.
The spiced Blackberry Ginger syrup can be stored in your refrigerator for up to 1 week. Make sure to slice the cherries and strawberries so their juices will flavor the salad, in addition to the spiced syrup. If you want the syrup to be spicier you can use 1 full teaspoon of Aleppo Pepper Flakes to make the syrup.
Blackberry Ginger Balsamic Vinegar
Aleppo Pepper Flakes