Pickled Cauliflower with Turmeric and Cardamom
YIELD: 1 quart PREP TIME: 15 min
MARINATE TIME: overnight to 2 days in refrigerator
- 1 pint cauliflower florets
- 2 carrots sliced 1 inch thick (optional)
- 2/3 cup Champagne Vinegar
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed or ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Aleppo Pepper flakes (season to taste)
Add cauliflower florets and carrot pieces (optional) to a 1 pint jar.
In a medium saucepan combine vinegar, water, salt, and sugar. Stir while bringing to a boil until the salt and sugar dissolve. Add the garlic, cardamom, turmeric, yellow mustard seed, and Aleppo Pepper flakes. Pour the brine over the vegetables. If the brine doesn’t cover the vegetables completely, add hot water to cover.
Cover the jar and let stand until cooled to room temperature, then refrigerate. These can be eaten after they are fully chilled but their flavor improves if they are allowed to marinate overnight or a few days.
Cardamom Turmeric Aleppo Pepper Flakes