Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Apples
YIELD: 6-8 servings PREP TIME: 15 min COOK TIME: 6-8 hr
- coconut oil cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 apples (peeled, cored, and diced)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground Vietnamese Mountain Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground Vietnamese Mountain Cinnamon
- brown sugar
- whipped cream
- chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans
- fresh fruit like sliced apples, bananas, or berries
Grease the inside of your slow cooker by spraying with coconut oil cooking spray. Add uncooked steel cut oats, unsweetened almond milk, water, diced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt. Stir to mix ingredients.
Cook overnight on “low” setting for 6-8 hours. Adjust the time according to the way your individual slow cooker works. You may want to do a “test drive” during the day to determine actual cooking time before making overnight oatmeal.
When the oatmeal is finished cooking, serve with desired toppings.
Elevate the flavor of this dish by grinding our Vietnamese Cracked Cinnamon on top. To optimize this spice's flavor grind the cinnamon to a coarsely ground consistency. When you bite into a piece of this coarsely ground cinnamon you taste a burst of spiciness and sweetness…….like a cinnamon Pop Rock. At our vendor shows, customers are always WOW’ed by the fragrance and flavor of our coarsely ground Vietnamese Cracked Cinnamon.
Vietnamese Cracked Cinnamon