Hot Masala Chai
YIELD: 4 servings PREP TIME: 10 min COOK TIME: 15 min
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 large piece of candied ginger (minced) or 1/3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 ¼ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 3 cinnamon sticks, lightly crushed
- 12 black peppercorns
- 14 whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 4 black tea bags or equivalent loose tea
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk or cow’s milk
- honey or liquid sweetener to taste
- 4 tablespoons creamer (optional as desired)
Add all spices and tea to water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Add milk and sweetener. Increase to medium-high heat, watching and stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to foam at the edges (just before boiling). Strain and adjust sweetness to taste. Serve in mugs topped with a few of the whole spices if desired. Add extra creamer or milk as desired.
Ginger Cardamom Cinnamon Cloves
Store any leftover chai in a sealed container in your refrigerator to be warmed and enjoyed at another time.