YIELD: ¼ cup PREP TIME: 15 min
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo Pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
In a small bowl mix the sea salt, minced onion, and lime juice. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes to blend flavors. Next, mix the cardamom, Aleppo Pepper flakes, ground coriander, ground ginger, and smoked paprika and toast over low heat while stirring until spices are fragrant (~1-2 minutes). Remove from heat and allow to cool for ~10 minutes. When cool, stir the spices into the lime juice mixture.
This Ethiopian sauce will add a delightful lime-chili flavor accent to a variety of foods, including Ethiopian cuisine, meatballs, chicken, fish, and dips. Put a generous topping of Berbere Sauce on the Somali Chicken Soup featured on our website.
Aleppo Pepper flakes